VGPS was designed to Make Your Ordinary Cell Phone Do More. You can use City street map on your ordinary cell phone without the need of having GPS receiver or internet connection.
VGPS does not require internal or external GPS receiver so you can use VGPS everywhere (indoor and outdoor). However, if you have internal GPS receiver or external bluetooth GPS receiver, VGPS can work with your GPS receiver as well.
VGPS does not require internet connection so you no need to worry about connection charge.
Some of the key features of VGPS are:
- Manage routes and waypoints. Route appears on the map with highlight colour, waypoint appears on the map as a flag. User can define and manage routes and waypoints within VGPS application.
- Support Standard Location API JSR179. VGPS can work with any phone that has internal GPS receiver.
- Support Standard NMEA Sentence. VGPS can work with any external bluetooth GPS receiver.
- Can load huge map data into phone limited memory. VGPS can load a map with 50,126 streets and 11,112 points of interest into a phone which has only 500KB memory by using special zip and unzip on the fly algorithm.
- Zoom in/Zoom out/Pan.
- Incremental search for point label, street label. VGPS will progressively find up to 10 nearest matches for the search string as each character is typed.
- Search for shortest way between 2 given points on the map. User can define waypoint-start and waypoint-end anywhere on the map then VGPS will search for shortest way from waypoint-start to waypoint-end.
- Can move pointer freely to touch any object on the screen. Use arrow keys to move the pointer and when you are moving it, the label of nearest object to the pointer will be shown on top-left corner of the screen. You can also scroll the map around by moving pointer to reach the screen's borders.
- Auto adjust street's name according to the length of street on the screen. If the length of street is long enough to display street's name on it, the street's name will be displayed, otherwise it will not. The more level you zoom in, the more street's name will be displayed on the screen.
- Auto adjust the width of street according to zoom level. The more level you zoom in, the more wider street will be displayed on the screen.
- Display direction arrow on one-way street.
- Support touch screen. If your phone support touch screen, you can use stylus to move the pointer instead of using arrow keys. Just tap on any object (point or street) on the screen, VGPS will show the label of that object!
- Support Garmin's map. Garmin is a leader in Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. You can buy Garmin map from Garmin or find Garmin map from GPS Maps section.
- Support OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a project aimed squarely at creating and providing free geographic data such as street map for the whole world.
- VGPS supports a lot of city maps around the world. Click here to see the list of cities supported by VGPS.